Ready to teach a course online but not sure how?
CMU has the solution!
Enroll in Central Michigan University's
Certificate in Online Instruction program. This certificate program is for educators like you who have the desire to teach online and want to learn first hand how to do it.
Certificate in Online Instruction program, delivered through CMU's Global Campus, is designed to provide you with the opportunity to experience instruction and learning online and to prepare you to teach in this format.
- Gain an understanding of online teaching
- Participate in online learning
- Develop an online course syllabus for the course you plan to teach
- Earn one (1) graduate level college credit from CMU
- October 15 - November 11, 2017
- January 21 - February 17, 2018
- April 15 - May 12, 2018
- July 15 - August 11, 2018
Students have the choice of taking the four-week course for
one graduate credit or for
non-credit professional development.
- Differentiate traditional learning and teaching from online learning and teaching
- Recognize characteristics and attributes of online students
- Set expectations for yourself as an online instructor
- Write an effective syllabus for online course delivery
Identify effective online communication tools
Establish online communication policies
Reinforce online communication strategies
Understand the importance of interaction in online courses
Create interactive online activities
Examine course content to be delivered in an online format
Design useable and quality online content
Organize your online content Present your online content
Compare effectiveness of formative and summative assessment in online courses
Set up security options and settings for online tests
Explore alternative assessment methods for online courses
Understand importance of timely feedback in online assessments
Four Weeks – One Goal
Taught completely online, this rigorous certificate program is delivered over four weeks with one module covered per week. By the end of the program you will have a start-to-finish plan to get you ready to teach an online course.
As a student in the program you will participate in the same types of interactivities that you will create for your own online students, including:
- Accessing posted notes
- Submitting required written assignments
- Participating in discussion boards
- Taking online quizzes
- Participating in one online chat per week
Cost for the four-module course
| Individual with college credit* || $375, plus a $50 admission fee if you are not currently admitted to Central Michigan University|
| Individual with non-credit option || $295 |
| Group registration (non-credit option only) || $250 / person for multiple registrations from the same organization that register at the same time|
*Additional course work beyond the four modules will include a weekly reflective journal assignment and a final 5-10 page paper.
Note: Students must complete the program with an overall pass rate of 80% on assignments in order to receive a certificate.
Central Michigan University
802 Industrial Drive
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858
Phone: (800) 950-1144, ext. 3718 or (989) 774-3718
Fax: (989) 774-1188 E-mail:
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. - 12 p.m., 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. (EST)