Skip navigation

State of Michigan Frequently Asked Questions

​If you have a specific question regarding the enrollment incentive not addressed below, or need assistance with the process, please utilize CMU's chat service or call 877-268-4636.

What is the state employee enrollment incentive?

All State of Michigan employees, contractors, spouses and their dependents receive a 15 percent tuition savings to CMU’s online programs and classes taken at CMU's satellite locations. The enrollment incentive does not apply to main campus classes or main campus students taking online courses.

Do I qualify for the state employee enrollment incentive?

All verified State of Michigan employees and their spouses and dependents under age 26 and all verified employees (and their spouses and dependents under age 26) of contractors who work directly for the State of Michigan on a full-time basis are eligible for the enrollment incentive.

What academic programs are available with the state tuition incentive?

More than 30 academic programs are available, including all CMU Global Campus certificatesbachelor's degrees and master's degrees.

This enrollment incentive does not apply to doctoral programs.

How do I apply?

To complete the process, please follow these steps:

Step 1

Apply online at

Step 2

Scan and attach your most recent Statement of Earnings and Deductions to establish that you are a state employee.

If the applicant is the spouse or dependent of a state employee, you also must include only page one from your most recent federal income tax return. This should also be scanned and uploaded as part of the application process.

If your Statement of Earnings and Deductions or most recent  federal income tax form are not available to upload at the time of application (when you click submit), the missing documentation can be e-mailed to or mailed to:

CMU Global Campus 
Attn: Financial Services
802 Industrial Drive 
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858

Please indicate your full name as it is on your application to CMU and that this information is for the state employee enrollment incentive.

If you are a contractor through the State of Michigan, please send your name and employer name to be verified through the state.

State employees will need to go through the verification process yearly to maintain the enrollment incentive rate.  

Step 3

Request official transcripts. This can be a lengthy process, so please be sure to have the registrar mail official transcript(s) directly to:

CMU Global Campus 
Attn: Transcript Department 
802 Industrial Drive 
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858

OR e-mail the transcript(s) to

To process your application we must receive:

For Undergraduate Programs

  • Official transcripts from each of your previously attended regionally accredited colleges or universities 


  • Official high school or GED transcripts if you have not attended another regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university

For Graduate Programs

  • Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
  • You must hold a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited institution. GPA requirements vary by program, please check the website.
  • The program you are applying to may have additional requirements. Please check the website.

I'm a current student who is working for the State of Michigan, can I still qualify?

Yes. If you're already enrolled and want to know more about applying for the state employee enrollment incentive, please contact Financial Services at 1-989-774-3618, option #1, or via email at

Can I apply for financial aid along with the state employee enrollment incentive?

Yes. You also may qualify for numerous merit-based scholarships available through CMU. In order to apply or qualify for scholarships or loans, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA financial aid code for CMU is 002243. Please visit CMU's Financial Aid page for more information.

Does the state pay for my tuition?

No. All payments are the student’s responsibility. The state employee enrollment incentive is just a discounted tuition rate that applies to State of Michigan employees, spouses and dependents. Please check with your Human Resources office for eligibility to receive any reimbursement. Tuition rates are subject to change at the sole discretion of CMU.

What if I leave state employment?

Once your state employment is verified, your enrollment incentive rate is good for one year. You must re-submit verification every year to remain eligible for the enrollment incentive. If at any point you are no longer employed by the State of Michigan or are unable to provide verification of your state employment, your tuition will be charged at the normal student rate.

Will my previous credits transfer to CMU?

CMU welcomes transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be applied toward your degree program depends on where the credits are transferring from and what degree you pursue. Please visit CMU's Transfer Students page for more information.

Can I earn credits for my previous work experience?

CMU recognizes the value of your learning through professional and life experiences through Prior Learning Credit. A maximum of 60 undergraduate credits and 10 graduate credits may be applied toward your degree from Prior Learning. Please visit CMU's Prior Learning Credit page for more information.

What are CMU's general education requirements?

General education for undergraduate programs at CMU consists of two areas of liberal study and achievement, University Program, and Competency Requirements, which are required of all students. For more information please refer to the Online Bulletin.

What is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program and do I qualify?

The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers. More information on qualification .