Access to the CMU Writing Center's asynchronous online service is available to all current CMU students, faculty, and staff. Our student writing consultants provide written comments on drafts submitted for any CMU course (Global or Main Campus) and return them to writers within 2-3 days.
Please read the following carefully before submitting your draft to the Writing Center:
- One submission in the queue at a time. Resubmit or submit a different draft only after current submission is returned.
- Submissions are returned within two to three days. Longer wait times may occur when demand is high.
- Submissions are reviewed in the order submitted, first-in/first-out. Allow time to get the draft back and make the necessary revisions before your due date.
- 50-minute session per submission. A 50-minute review generally covers 8 to 10 pages. Before resubmitting longer papers, make applicable revisions to the remainder of the draft and indicate where consultants should resume the review.
- Delete comments from consultant before resubmitting.
- Maximum document size is 10MB.
How to submit your draft to CMU’s Writing Center
- Save your draft as a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) document. We can only review documents that are saved in one of these file types. Microsoft files are highly recommended.
- Click on the “Online Submission Form” link below and log in with your CMU Global ID and Password
- Fill out the form completely, attach your document by clicking on the “Browse” button, and then click “Submit.”
NOTE: You must complete the online form for each submission.
- Drafts are returned as an attached Word document. Comments appear in the right margin.
Tips for revising
- Read your paper aloud, with the suggested comments in mind. Hearing the words substantially increases the likelihood of catching problem areas.
- Apply the suggestions and revise your entire paper before resubmitting to the Writing Center. This will help you become more aware of your own patterns, establish your writing habits, and edit your own writing in the future. Revising as much as possible will also speed up your completion time, as the consultant will be able to focus on other aspects of your writing when you resubmit the paper.
- Check the
Writing Center main campus website for additional resources, including a "Quick Guide for APA".
Online Submission Form
Email the CMU Writing Center at