Opened September 1957
Cost: $1.22 million
The Claude S. Larzelere residence hall was designed by architect Roger Allen of Grand Rapids. Its outside was copied from Robinson Hall, next to which it was located, and the inside copied the suite plan developed for Tate Hall the previous year. It shares a dining commons with Robinson, Calkins, and Trout Halls.
The building was finished in September 1957 and dedicated on May 18, 1958. It was built as a men's dormitory, which it remained until 1959. Women lived there from 1959 to 1970, after which it became coed. It was designated the Honors dormitory in 1972.
The building was named for the longtime head of the Department of History and Social Sciences. Larzelere headed that department from 1900 to 1939. He was born in 1866 in Iowa. He received his Bachelor of Literature from the University of Michigan, and did graduate study at the University of Chicago and Oxford University. He received his MA from Harvard in 1900. Before coming to Central, he was the superintendant of schools at Lowell, Michigan and Jefferson, Ohio. In 1912 he received an honorary Master of Pedagogy from the State Normal School at Ypsilanti, which is now Eastern Michigan.
Larzelere specialized in Michigan history and government, on which he wrote several books and articles. He traveled extensively, visiting Europe, Egypt, and Palestine. He and his wife Lorena had two sons and a niece who lived with them. He died on January 20, 1946.