Cost: $28.5 Million
The Graduate Housing Complex offers on-campus housing to graduate students and families. The complex is comprised of two buildings, both located on Bellows Street at the north end of campus. The buildings opened in May and July of 2013, helping to replace the loss of other graduate/family housing that occurred when 96 units at Preston Apartments were removed for the construction of the Music Building and 128 units at Washington Court were removed for the construction of the Education and Human Services building.
The project was approved by the CMU Board of Trustees in December 2011. The Christman Company of Lansing was hired to contract out the work. The total budget for the project was $28.5 million, which included funds for the expansion of an adjacent parking lot. The buildings were designed so that their architectural style fit in with the rest of the older buildings on the north side of campus. With this in mind, the exteriors of the buildings were closely modeled on Barnard Hall, a residence hall built in 1948 and demolished in 1997. The Graduate Housing Complex was the first multi-family building in the Midwest to receive a platinum certification from Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
The Graduate Housing Complex was designed to attract graduate students and family-oriented University attendees. When it opened, it featured one, two, and four-person accommodations, either furnished or unfurnished. Each unit had a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and air conditioning. Additionally, each unit was equipped with landline Ethernet ports or wireless capabilities, and all were within walking distance of the main campus. In total, the Graduate Housing Complex offered 94 units with 164 beds.