Cost: $2.035 million
Judson Foust Hall was originally proposed in 1970 as a space for the Student Health Service, as well as various other University services. The $2.5 million project would be situated on Preston halfway between Mission and Franklin Streets on the site of the Public Safety Building and across the street from Alumni Field. The Public Safety building was moved east to its new location in February 1972 to make room for Foust Hall. The new building was designed by Alden Dow Architects of Midland. Dow was the son of Herbert H. Dow and a well-respected architect who worked under Frank Lloyd Wright. He and his firm had built over 800 buildings at the time of his appointment on this project, several of which were located in the state of Michigan. Dow would later design the North Art Studio on campus as well.
Construction had begun by summer 1971 and was completed in about two years. The University held a public open house in Foust Hall in October 1973. The Student Health Service began moving in during the summer of 1973. Established in the early 1960s to serve the needs of Central students, the Health Service had outgrown its original facilities in Sloan Hall as the demands of a growing campus community put more pressure on the department. Indeed, in the two years prior to the move, the number of students treated by the Student Health Service more than doubled.
The new facility was nearly double the size of the one Health Services left. In their new location in Foust Hall, the Student Health Service would occupy two entire floors and have access to an emergency room, laboratory, x-ray facilities, a 55-bed inpatient infirmary, and parking for 125 cars. The facility was designed to serve a campus of 20,000. The original plans had also called for a dental clinic and physiotherapy unit, but diminishing funds meant these proposed additions would have to wait. There was space for up to ten physicians and one psychiatrist, and University medical officials immediately recognized the urgent need for Central's first female physician and worked to bring one in.
Sharing Foust with Student Health Service was a counseling center and sports medicine clinic. There was also space for a new center for the University's Computer Services, including the addition of an IBM UNIVAC computer in late 1973 that would greatly expand the school's computing power. Foust also housed the Women's Health and Information Project (WHIP), which worked to keep women on campus informed about birth control and reproductive health.
Foust has undergone several minor renovations since its construction and has been repurposed multiple times. It currently houses the Counseling Center, University Health Services, and the Office of Research and Graduate Studies.
Born in Ann Arbor in 1902, Judson Foust moved with his family to Ithaca, Michigan, where he graduated from high school in 1919. He then went on to college and received a degree from Albion in 1923. Upon graduation, he accepted a position as teacher of mathematics and debate coach in a Lansing high school. While teaching, he attended the University of Michigan, receiving a master's degree in 1927 and a doctorate in 1938. He began his career at Central State Teachers College as a mathematics instructor in 1929 and authored several textbooks. In 1941, he was named director of summer school at Central. He later became assistant to the president in 1946 and vice president in 1952. When President Anspach retired in 1959, Foust succeeded him to the office. He left the presidency in 1968, having served during the largest expansion period yet known to the University.