Opened Winter 1970
Cost: $1.65 million
The Myron A. Cobb Residence Hall is part of the Towers complex on the southeast end of campus, which houses more than 1400 students. It was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, who built most of Central Michigan University's buildings. It was the last building in the complex to open.
The Towers were partially based on student-designed blueprints. They were originally planned as a six-story complex on the north end of campus, where Northwest Apartments is now located. The site had to be changed, however, when engineers discovered that the ground would not be stable enough to support the massive structures. Since shoring up the ground would have increased an already soaring budget, the University decided to build the complex on the other end of campus on newly-annexed land on Broomfield Road.
The new plans called for two seven-story and two nine-story buildings. Problems with Union Township delayed construction. The Township refused to extend sewer and water services in early 1968, which halted construction until the problems could be worked out.
Cobb Hall opened in 1970 as a women's residence hall. In 1973, the hall became co-ed, which it remains to this day. The hall was named for the head of the Department of Agriculture from 1912 to 1936. Myron Cobb was a noted conservationist and agricultural authority who came to Central in 1908 after receiving his Bachelor of Science in 1908 from Michigan State University, where Teddy Roosevelt spoke at his commencement. While working on his BS, he taught science in Lansing.
Cobb started at Central as a Chemistry teacher, then became the head of the Department of Agriculture in 1912. He was a pioneer in introducing soybeans as a crop in the Mt. Pleasant area. He planted numerous forests around the state and led a campaign in Clare against billboards on US-27. The state named a wildlife sanctuary after him in recognition of his efforts at conservation. He received his Master of Science from Michigan State in 1922. He died in an auto accident near his Harrison cottage in 1936.