Opened: September 18th, 1967
Cost: $2.65 Million
Pearce Hall was the last building constructed in a three-building academic complex, which also contained Anspach Hall and Brooks Hall, located on what was then the southern part of campus. The building was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids as a general purpose classroom building that would serve the needs of the Foreign Languages, Art, and Mathematics departments. The building cost $2.65 million, $100,000 more than university officials originally planned on spending.
Construction contracts were awarded in March 1966. Collinson Construction of Midland was the general contractor on the project. The Vander Waals-Troske Company of Grand Rapids was responsible for the mechanical work and Tri-City Electrical of Saginaw did the electrical installation. Construction was underway by summer 1966 and was completed by the beginning of fall 1967. Doors were officially opened to students on September 18, 1967.
Webster Houston Pearce graduated from the Michigan State Normal College (Eastern Michigan University) at Ypsilanti in 1904. He then continued his education by going on to receive further degrees from Albion (AB) and the University of Michigan (MA). He served as the principal of Albion High School from 1902 to 1904 and of Adrian High School from 1905-1908. He then worked as an assistant professor of mathematics at that Michigan State Normal College at Ypsilanti from 1909 until 1916, when he became a professor at Central.
Living in Mt. Pleasant also allowed him to expand his career into politics. He was the city's mayor from March of 1921 until June 1927. He also served as Superintendent of Public instruction for two terms. Pearce left both the college and the town in 1927 to become the president of Northern State Teachers' College, no known as Northern Michigan University. He passed away at his home in Marquette, MI in October of 1940.