Skip navigation

Eugene C. Rowe Hall

Opened September 1958
Cost: $1.067 million

RoweConstruction on Rowe Hall started in the Spring of 1957. The building was designed as the new Teacher Education Center. It housed the College Elementary School, where prospective teachers gained experience working with children, as well as the Department of Psychology and Education. It also housed the departments of Sociology, Economics, and Political Science. The cornerstone of the building contains the signatures of all of the elementary students attending the school in 1958, including a photograph of them.

The building now houses various University offices and the Center for Cultural and Natural History, which is located in the former gymnasium. The museum moved into the building from Ronan Hall in 1975-1976, and re-opened to the public in April 1978. In 1994, the Native American Gallery was dedicated. The gallery was started by a donation from Olga and G. Roland Denison. An office wing addition to the building was destroyed by fire on June 19, 1998.

RoweThe building was named after the founder of the Department of Psychology and Education at Central. Eugene C. Rowe was born in Monroe, Michigan, on March 8, 1870. He received his AB from Olivet in 1897 and his PhD from Clark University in 1909. He came to Central in 1902 and retired in 1936. He was the first faculty member at Central to have a PhD.

Rowe was a prominent psychologist. He offered the first Mental and Sex Hygiene courses in the state. He was a clinical psychologist for the New York City Police from 1915 to 1916. During World War I, he was the US Army's Chief Psychological Examiner, attaining the rank of Major. He helped design the Army Alpha test, which is a fore-runner of the modern IQ tests. He was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a life member of the American Psychological Association. In addition to his work as a psychologist, Rowe was also a pioneer in the controversial eugenics movement. He died on December 31, 1946.