Opened: Fall 1966
Cost: $1.4 million
Saxe Hall, the sister hall to Herrig, was designed by Roger Allen and Associates
of Grand Rapids. In was built as a men's hall, then became coed in 1970.
Saxe served as a librarian at Central Michigan University for forty-five years,
beginning as a student assistant at the Normal School Library in 1901. By the
time she retired as an assistant Librarian in1946, the Library had increased
from three thousand volumes to fifty-five thousand. Students and faculty both
appreciated her tirelessness in searching out materials for them and her genuine
interest in each of them and their problems. The fire of 1925 was a devastating
blow to the school's library resources and Saxe's efforts in repairing and compensating
for the losses were greatly esteemed. In addition to working for the college,
she also helped to initiate plans for a Mt. Pleasant city library in 1910, to
which she donated her many skills and talents.