Cost: $1.4 Million
Saxe Hall opened in the fall of 1966 as part of the southeast quadrangle of residence halls. Saxe, along with Woldt, Emmons, and Herrig Halls, were all constructed during a period of campus expansion that included four new quads in a fifteen-year period. Saxe Hall was designed by architects from Roger Allen and Associates in Grand Rapids. The $1.4 million building, designed to house 344 students in 86 suites, utilized the floor plan from Tate Hall (this floor plan was used in all residence hall buildings until the construction of the Towers complex in the late 1960s).
Saxe and Herrig Halls opened for occupancy in the fall of 1966, although crews were still working on finishing the construction and furnishings for the building. Indeed, dressers, mirrors, lounge chairs, and other finishing touches had yet to be installed when the first students moved in. Both Saxe Hall and Herrig Hall were dedicated in a joint ceremony on December 10, 1967. The ceremony also featured a celebration of the University's 75th anniversary. As part of the ceremony, University president Judson Foust presented the 75th Alumni Anniversary Award to architect Roger Allen for his service to the school. Like Woldt and Emmons, Saxe and Herrig Halls shared a common lobby area and were served by the Woldt food commons.
Elizabeth Saxe served as a librarian at Central Michigan University for forty-five years, beginning as a student assistant at the Normal School Library in 1901. By the time she retired as an assistant Librarian in 1946, the Library had increased from three thousand volumes to fifty-five thousand. Students and faculty both appreciated her tirelessness in searching out materials for them and her genuine interest in each of them and their problems. The fire that destroyed Old Main in 1925 was a devastating blow to the school's library resources and Saxe's efforts in repairing and compensating for the losses were greatly esteemed. In addition to working for the College, she also helped to initiate plans for a Mt. Pleasant city library in 1910, to which she donated her many skills and talents.