Opened October 1941
Capacity as dormitory: 148
The Lucy A. Sloan residence hall was the third residence hall built on the
campus of CMU. The architects for the project were the firm of Miller-Davis
of Kalamazoo. It was the last residence hall to be built for seven years, and
the last one not built by Roger Allen and Associates, who were responsible for
all CMU buildings for some forty years after this point.
Sloan Hall was built as a combination residence hall and health services unit.
The first floor was split into north and south wings. In the north wing were
a lounge and assorted recreation rooms, as well as the residence of the house
mother. The south wing housed the university's health services, which included
a pharmacy and beds for twenty patients. It was staffed by three nurses and
a part-time doctor. The second and third floors were for residences. The building
was constructed as a women's dormitory housing 148 women, two per room. However,
the overcrowding that was prevalent in the dorms resulted in three women living
in each room. Room rates were $3 per week. Toward the end of World War II, the
building housed four people per room due to overcrowding from the presence of
Naval cadets in the other women's dorm, Ronan Hall. In addition, the basement
was often used for Student Senate meetings.
In 1963, the building was redesignated as Sloan Panhellenic House, and housed
eight sororities. This was after the end of a longtime ban on fraternities and
sororities at CMU. In 1970, the building was converted to offices, and now houses
the Psychology Department, the Department of Finance, the Department of Economics,
and the Office of Gay and Lesbian Programs.
Hall was named for Lucy A. Sloan. For several years after her graduation form
Hillsdale College, Sloan taught in Kentucky at Berea College. Later she was
an instructor in the Lansing city schools until 1897, when she resigned her
position there and accepted the position of Preceptress of Central Michigan
Normal. As the school grew, her duties were mainly concentrated in the role
of English Department Head. Miss Sloan was widely acclaimed as an outstanding
teacher, speaker, and textbook author. She also helped found the school's first
literary society for women in 1912. Miss Sloan died in October of 1918. Her
obituary, which ran in the October 31 edition of the Mt. Pleasant Times included
the following tribute: "Miss Sloan was always a welcome guest at any social
gathering. Her sense of humor, her ability as a storyteller, her kindliness
of manner made her the best of companions. She was heart and soul in the suffrage
movement and gave her time and talent freely in its cause."