Skip navigation

Woodward Smith Hall

Opened June 1934

SmithSmith hall has the distinction of having had the greatest number of names attached to it out of all of Central's buildings. It began its life as the College Elementary School building, built on the site of the original Training School Building which burned in 1933. Sometime between that date and 1984, it was rechristened North Hall, probably when the Business Administration Department moved in soon after it was formed. On September 22, 1984 it received its current name. Smith Hall houses the Department of Management and Law and the Department of Marketing and Hospitality Services Administration

SmithThe building was named for Woodward C. Smith, a longtime administrator. Smith received his Bachelor of Arts from Central and his Master of Arts from Michigan State University. He taught high school in Remus, Trufant, Nashville, and Comstock Park before coming to Central in 1942. He served the University in many capacities: as an instructor, an associate professor, as the Assistant Director of Extension, the Director of Field Services, and finally as the Vice President for Public Services in 1956. He was responsible for the growth of Central's outreach programs in the 1950s, the ancestors of the current College of Extended Learning. He was also Central's first liason with the state legislature. He was awarded honorary PhDs from Ferris and Eastern Michigan University. In addition to his work for Central, he served as the president for the National and Michigan Associations of Field Services and Extension Programs and for the Michigan Rural Teachers Association.

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Website Feedback | Desktop View