Opened: Summer 1961
Cost: $1.56 million
Sweeney Hall was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids. It
was built as a women's dormitory, the sister hall of Merrill.
Sweeney Hall was named for a longtime professor in the Department of Physical
Education and the coach of Central's gymnastics team. "Doc" Sweeny was
born on August 13, 1907 in Mt. Pleasant. He graduated from Sacred Heart Academy
and Central Michigan Normal. He taught gymnastics at Central and developed a
touring gymnastics demonstration group. He spent thirteen years as a line coach
of various sports and coached Central's basketball team during World War II.
He was a pioneer in the development of summer athletic camps at Central, and
was responsible for the change in mascot from the Bearcats to the Chippewas,
which he felt would allow more pageantry at halftime. He and his wife, Mary,
had a son and two daughters. Sweeny died on August 24, 1957.