Opened Spring 1963
Cost: $1.3 million
Thorpe Hall's first residents were 300 "volunteers" who moved from
their rooms in Robinson, Sloan, Ronan, and Barnes Halls. They were randomly
selected and ordered to move over the weekend of December 15-19, 1962. Sixty
came from Ronan, fifty from Barnes, forty from Sloan, and 150 from Robinson.
Like the rest of the residence halls on campus, Thorpe was designed by Roger
Allen of Grand Rapids. The Collison Construction Co. of Midland was the main
The hall's suite plan was copied from Tate hall, the same plan that
was used in all halls until the Towers. Thorpe hall has always housed men.In
1989, the men of Thorpe initiated a program to fund a new weight facility. The
program secured matching funds from Housing.
Thorpe Hall was named for the Head Librarian from 1955 to 1958. Before that,
he had been an assistant librarian since 1941. He was born in Waco, Nebraska.
He received his AB from Peru Teacher's College and his Master of Arts from the
University of Michigan. He did course work toward his PhD at Michigan State