Opened Fall 1959
Cost: $1.38 million
The David M. Trout residence hall was completed in June of 1959. The dedication
ceremony took place on April 24, 1960. The federal bonding agreement that provided
some of the money for construction stated that it was to be used for a men's
dormitory. However, it only housed men for its first year of operation, switching
to women in the fall of 1960. Like most dormitories on campus, Trout was designed
by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids. It followed the suite plan designed
for Tate Hall. It is part of the North Quad that includes Robinson, Larzelere,
When it was first built, Trout was connected to Calkins without any internal
barriers. During their stay in the hall, the Trout men often rolled bowling
balls down into Calkins until walls were erected seperating the halls.
During and after the Korean war, Central supported an orphanage in Munsan,
South Korea. Trout Hall was the base of operations for this charitable undertaking.
It had raised $5,200 by 1962. Central was the only university in the United
States to support such an orphanage.
hall was named for the Dean of Students from 1937 to 1954. David Trout was born
in 1891 and died in 1954. He was part of CMU's faculty from 1937 until his death.
Before becoming the Dean of Students, he was the Head of the Department of Psychology
and Education. He started the Division of Student Personnel at CMU, and was
the advisor for the Student Personnel Association for Teacher Education.