Skip navigation

Trout Hall


exterior 1.jpg​Opened: 1959
Cost: $ 1.38 Million

Trout Hall completed the quadrangle of residence halls on the northwest side of campus. The location of Trout Hall and neighboring Calkins Hall was the site of the Centralville married student housing (Hopkins Court) within the Vetville complex that temporarily housed student veterans after the Second World War, although by the time construction started on the new residence halls the apartment buildings that had once stood there had been sold and removed. The $1.38 million building was designed by architect Roger Allen of Grand Rapids, who designed many of the other residence halls built during the period of campus expansion and construction in the 1950s and 1960s. The interior plans copied those developed for Tate Hall the previous year, which featured a suite-style layout that would heavily influence on-campus living design until the construction of the Towers complex in the late 1960s. Trout Hall shares a dining commons with Robinson, Larzelere, and Calkins Halls.

David M. Trout residence hall was completed and ready for occupancy in June of 1959. The official dedication ceremony took place on April 24, 1960. The federal bonding agreement that provided some of the money for construction stated that it was to house men. However, it only housed men for its first year of operation, switching to women in the fall of 1960. When it was first built, Trout was connected to Calkins without any internal barriers. During their stay in the hall, the Trout men often rolled bowling balls down into Calkins until walls were erected separating the two.

After the Korean War, Central supported an orphanage in Mun San, South Korea. Trout Hall was the base of operations for this charitable undertaking. It had raised $5,200 by 1962. Central was the only university in the United States to support such an orphanage.

pictrout.jpgThe hall was named for the Dean of Students from 1937 to 1954. David Trout was born in 1891 and died in 1954. He was part of CMU's faculty from 1937 until his death. Before becoming the Dean of Students, he was the Head of the Department of Psychology and Education. He started the Division of Student Personnel at CMU and was the advisor for the Student Personnel Association for Teacher Education.