Opened Fall 1969
Cost: $1.43 million
The Oliver W. Troutman Residence Hall is part of the Towers complex on the
southeast end of campus, which houses more than 1400 students. It was designed
by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, who built most of Central Michigan
University's buildings. It was the first building in the complex to open.
The Towers were partially based on student-designed blueprints. They were originally
planned as a six-story complex on the north end of campus, where Northwest Apartments
is now located. The site had to be changed, however, when engineers discovered
that the ground would not be stable enough to support the massive structures.
Since shoring up the ground would have increased an already soaring budget,
the University decided to build the complex on the other end of campus on newly-annexed
land on Broomfield Road.
The new plans called for two seven-story and two nine-story buildings. Problems
with Union Township delayed construction. The Township refused to extend sewer
and water services in early 1968, which halted construction until the problems
could be worked out.
Troutman Hall opened in 1969 as a women's residence hall. In 1972, the hall
became co-ed, which it remains to this day.
hall was named for the head of the Manual Training Department from 1913 to 1933.
Oliver Troutman was born on August 19, 1880, in New York. He graduated from
Yindhurst Academy in Seneca Falls and worked for General Electric for four years.
He received his Bachelor of Arts from Cornell, where he taught for several years
before coming to Central Michigan.
While at Central, Troutman added a wide variety of courses to the Manual Training
curriculum, most notably in metalworking. He and his wife had no children, but
served as foster parents to four nephews. He died on March 30, 1933 in Seneca
Falls after a short illness.