Opened October 9, 1960
Cost: $2.1 million
The Student Center, later dedicated as the Bovee University Center, was built
in 1960. Before it opened, Powers Hall served as the Student Union.
When it was first built, the University Center had many features that are gone
now. The current lower level of the bookstore was a twelve-lane bowling alley
with an adjoining game room. The building contained a TV lounge and a craft
room on the ground floor as well. On the main level, one could find a browsing
room with books and newspapers as well as a music room containing a piano. The
information desk also served as a newsstand and as a tobacco shop. The Rotunda
Room, which now serves as a conference room, housed a cafeteria known as "The
Reservation" and two dining rooms. The building also housed a barber shop.
The Bovee University Center was dedicated on September 15, 1984 to the chief
financial officer of the university from 1956 to 1970. Norvall C. Bovee was
a member of Central's administration for thirty years, starting in 1940. He
came to Central from Eastern Michigan College as the assistant director of Keeler
Union (now Powers Hall), then served as its director in 1941. In 1946, he was
appointed Business Manager. He spent the years 1948 to 1956 as the Controller,
then became the university's first Vice President of Business and Finance in
1956, a position he held until his retirement in 1970.