Opened: Fall 1970
Cost: $8.6 Million (entire Towers Complex)
Wheeler Hall, one of the four original towers of the Towers complex, opened in the fall of 1970 as a men's residence hall with a capacity of 416. It was co-ed from 1974 to 1975, then exclusively for women in 1975. It is currently co-ed, as are all residence halls at CMU.
The hall was named for the head of the Department of Conservation and Agriculture from 1947 to 1960. George Wheeler was born on June 28, 1891 in Isabella County. He received his Bachelor of Science in 1914 from the Michigan Agriculture College, and came to Central that same year. He taught at Central for 38 years.
In addition to teaching, Wheeler kept busy with a variety of personal and civic activities. He received his MA in 1930 from the Teacher's College of Columbia University. He was the Vice President of the Board of Directors of Isabella County State Bank, director of the Central Michigan Community Hospital, and Lieutenant Governor of the state Kiwanis Club. He received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Eastern Michigan University in 1968. That same year, he was named Outstanding Citizen of the Year. He also received the 50th Anniversary Medal from Richard Nixon for his contributions to Michigan agriculture. His wife Elizabeth taught at Central from 1957 to 1970. They had two sons. Wheeler died on August 11, 1968.