Opened Fall 1964
Cost: $1.4 million
The Mae K. Woldt residence hall opened in the fall of 1964. It was dedicated
on May 9, 1965 along with its sister hall, Emmons. It houses 344 women in 86
suites, a plan copied from Tate hall and used in all residence halls at Central
until the Towers.
The building included several new features, some of which are still extant.
The basement of the Woldt-Emmons complex, beneath the dining room where Computer
Services is now housed, was a new student union, complete with a cafeteria,
a bookstore, and recreation rooms. The shared lobby connecting Woldt and Emmons
was the first of its kind. The building also housed art studio facilities in
the early 1980s.
hall was named for the head of the Biology Department from 1906 to 1935. Mae
K. Woldt was born in Urbana, Illinois on March 2, 1874. She received her Bachelor
of Science from the University of Michigan in 1897 and her Master of Science
at the University of Chicago in 1904. She did graduate work at several universities,
including the University of Heidelberg in Germany, Columbia University, the
University of Washington, and Rocky Mountain Biological Station in Colorado.
After completing her undergraduate work at Michigan, Woldt taught at Negaunee
High School from 1898 to 1899. She came to Central in 1899, becoming the head
of the Biology department in 1906. She remained head until her death on October