Dr. Charles Anspach (1895-1977) was the fifth leader of Central. He received a BA (1919) and MA (1920) from Ashland College (now University) in Ohio and Ph. D. from the University of Michigan (1930). Before becoming president at Central, Dr. Anspach was Dean of Ashland (1926-30), Head of the Department of Education at Michigan State Normal College (1930-34) the Dean of Administration at Michigan State Normal College (1934-35), and president of Ashland College in Ohio (1935-36).
President Anspach oversaw numerous changes to Central including a name change to Central Michigan College of Education (1941-55), then to Central Michigan College (1955-59), and finally Central Michigan University (1959- ), the tripling of enrollment to over 5,000 students, the quadrupling of faculty and staff to over 500, the growth of the campus built environment (from seven buildings to over forty) including the expansion of residence halls (from one to eight), the authority to grant graduate degrees (1954, 1958). He retired in 1959, one month after Central assumed University status. After retirement, President Anspach served as a delegate to the 1962 Michigan Constitutional Convention and remained in Mount Pleasant until his death in 1977.