Dr. Eugene Warriner
Dr. Eugene Warriner (1866-1945) served as the fourth head of Central from 1918-39. He was born in Earlville, Illinois in 1866. Dr. Warriner graduated from the University of Michigan (1891) and later received an honorary doctorate of laws from Alma (1937). Prior to his time at Central, Dr. Warriner was the principal of Battle Creek High School (ca. 1893-96) and served the Saginaw schools for twenty-two years (ca. 1896-1918).
 
During his 21 years at Central, Dr. Warriner presided over the change of Central State Normal School into a four-year college. The name of the school was changed to Central State Teachers College in 1927 to reflect this. Additionally, the enrollment of the Institution nearly doubled, the Old Main Building was destroyed by fire (1925) and replaced by what would become known as Warriner Hall, the first Central Homecoming was held (1924), Alumni Field was built (1932) and a vast amount of infrastructure improvements were made, the College received North Central Accreditation (1932), and graduate education began in a joint effort with the University of Michigan (1938). President Warriner retired in 1939.

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site