official dedication ceremonies for the newly built Mackinac Bridge
began with the first "Governor's Walk" across the bridge. In
1957, the erection of the main suspension span and paving of the roadway
brought the gigantic four-year construction process to an end.
While the new bridge was opened to traffic in November of 1957, the
contractors did not finish all the work until September of 1958. The
official bridge dedication ceremonies began on June 25, 1958, with the
first "Governor's Walk" across the bridge. The ceremonies ended four
days later. The Bridge spans five miles across the Straits of Mackinac
between the cities of Mackinaw City and St. Ignace. When it was
constructed, the “Mighty Mac” was the world's longest suspension bridge
(determined by the distance between cable anchorages). The twin towers
of the bridge reach 552 feet into the air. The bridge weighs 11,840
tons and is 8614 feet long. The total length of the steel wire spun to
form the two main cables is 42,000 miles.