beacon of the St. Helena Island Lighthouse was lit for the first time
and began a long career of guiding vessels safely through the Straights
Because several ships had been wrecked on the dangerous
shoals near the island of St. Helena in 1872, Congress authorized
construction of a lighthouse at the southeast tip of the island. Since
September 20, 1873, the beacon of the St. Helena Lighthouse has helped
guide vessels safely through the Straights of Mackinac.
The light was first automated in 1922 and the modern lighthouse uses solar batteries to power the light.
In 1988, the lighthouse was added to the national Register
of Historic Places. Recently restored to excellent condition by the
Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association, the St. Helena Island
Lighthouse continues to light up the Straights and provide a glimpse of
the golden age of the Great Lakes' lights.