Skip navigation

Main Library Hours:

. .

After Hours Study:

. .


What will Course Reserve office do for me?

The office will:

  • Secure one semester's worth of usage permission for materials you'd like to place on course reserve 
  • Pay any applicable usage fees
  • Obtain a copy of the item(s)
  • Upload the material directly into your Blackboard course shell

How can I place material on reserve for my students?

See our Placing Material on Reserve page for more information.

How long will the material remain on Reserve?

Material will remain in Blackboard only for the duration of your class. It cannot be available beyond the last class date without permission from the copyright holder.

I authored the material I want to put on reserve. Will the Course Reserve office place it on reserve for me?

Yes, provided that the copyright is not held by another party (a journal publisher, for example). If you hold the copyright and want to place the material on reserve, you may do so without limitation.

Must I obtain permission to use copyrighted material?

Using copyrighted material one time without obtaining permission is allowed under fair use, but you must obtain permission (and pay applicable usage charges) for each subsequent use.

How long does it take to obtain copyright clearance?

Some rights holders reply within a few days, while others take a month or longer. The best policy is to get your requests to us as far in advance of the course start date as possible. The more lead time we have, the more likely the material will be ready for your class.

I made a copy of a video. May I place this on reserve for my students?

Only if you obtained permission from the copyright holder to make the copy and to use it in this way. If you did not obtain permission to make the copy in the first place what you have is considered an illegal copy and the Course Reserve office will not place it on reserve.

Which material can I place on reserve without having to obtain permission or pay copyright charges?

Here are a few categories of material that may be used freely:

  • Self-authored material (unpublished) -- Since you are the copyright holder you can use it as you wish;
  • Government publications -- Publications of the United States government are considered public domain and, therefore, can be used freely;
  • Material in the public domain -- If an item has passed into the public domain, it is no longer protected by copyright and can be used without limitation;
  • Open access material -- Many authors create material that is intended to be used and shared freely. In most cases, all the author asks is an acknowledgement of the source of the material;
  • Material from the CMU Libraries collections -- According to our licensing agreements, material from our print and electronic collections may be placed on reserve without having to obtain permission or pay usage charges;

And remember linking to material does not require permission since you are not actually creating a copy of the content. Linking is a great way to provide information to your students without having to consider copyright ramifications.

How can I learn more about copyright?

The CMU copyright site provides a wealth of information.