Faculty, staff and retirees gave back to Central Michigan University at record levels this year during the Annual University Campaign. The 2015 campaign has raised more than $1.4 million, up from last year's donations of just over $1 million and surpassing the goal set for this year by $300,000.
"These results really speak to the culture of CMU and our collective commitment to delivering quality education, learning spaces and experiences for students," Bryan Griffin, director of annual giving and online engagement, said. "Whether a person gives $5 or a larger donation, every dollar helps."
The dollars raised for this year's campaign beat the last record set in 2010 when the campaign generated $1.2 million. This year, 1,107 donors contributed to the campaign, including 398 faculty members, 54 office professionals, 267 professional and administrative staff, and 36 senior officers. College and departmental winners were:
- Most dollars pledged by a college with 100 employees or more: College of Business Administration ($524,082)
- Highest participation by a college with 100 employees or more: College of Business Administration (48 percent)
- Most dollars pledged by a department with 25 employees or more: Athletics ($67,759)
- Highest participation by a department with 25 employees or more: Athletics (100 percent)
- Most dollars pledged by a department with 25 employees or less: Physician Assistant Program ($44,639)
- Most improved participation rate by a college: Global Campus (5 percent increase from the 2014 campaign)
The Faculty Association Scholarship Endowment, a faculty-driven fund within the Annual University Campaign that helps students afford degree-related expenses, also is on track to exceed its goal of raising $50,000 by July 1. Faculty have raised more than $38,000 toward the endowment through peer-to-peer encouragement to donate.
The FA aims to build the endowment to $2 million over time. Once this long-term goal is reached, it is estimated that faculty will be able to award scholarships of $1,000 each to up to 100 undergraduate students every year.
The Annual University Campaign is a chance for individuals on campus and former CMU employees to give back to a college, department, organization or project that matters to them. Every donation to the campaign is matched by CMU at 50 percent — a match incentive uncommon across institutions, but one that demonstrates a shared commitment to making sure students have what they need to learn and grow.