Imagine: Melding thousands of selfies from students, alumni, faculty, staff, neighbors and friends from across 125 years to produce a collective "Faces of CMU" work of art.
Through the talent of art and design professor Al Wildey, Central Michigan University will unveil the art in spring 2018, capturing the beauty and impact that happens when all members of the CMU community come together. The art will be similar to pieces Wildey has produced for area municipalities and organizations, said Sherry Knight, associate vice president of University Communications.
To join the project, email a selfie, or a photo in which your face is clearly visible, to FacesofCMU@cmich.edu. Please indicate your relationship with CMU — student, faculty member, staff member, alumnus, retiree, etc. — in the body of the email. Photos can show you now or in years past; it's your choice.
Images must be submitted by Jan 17. No group shots, please. Selfies may be of any resolution.
"If you study at Central Michigan University, work here or support our students in any way — or have in the past — you are a part of the CMU community," Knight said. "Please join us by submitting your selfie today."
The faces project is the work of CMU's 125th Artwork Committee. In addition to Wildey and Knight, members are:
- Mary Jane Flanagan, executive assistant to President George E. Ross.
- Amy Gouin, design director, University Communications.
- Jay Kahn, Art on Campus committee member/director, facilities operations.
- Amy Johnson, Art on Campus committee co-chair/director, academic space and remodeling, from Academic Administration.
- Kyle Pybus-Jerome, ceremonies and events coordinator in the President's Office.
- Derek Sturvist, Student Government Association vice president.
Disclaimer: By submitting your selfie/photo, you grant permission to Central Michigan University to use it for the Faces of CMU project and any related promotions. Anyone under the age of 18 should secure parental approval to participate.