What happens in Vegas sometimes comes home to Central Michigan University.
CMU made its presence known at the
International Textile and Apparel Association's annual conference in Las Vegas, with several students, faculty and recent alumni exhibiting work and receiving honors.
Fashion, interior design and merchandising faculty member Su Kyoung An won an award for her design work, as did graduate student Li Jiang.
As previously announced, FIDM faculty member Michael Mamp
won the Teaching Excellence Award.
Here's a list of work exhibited or presented from CMU:
- "The Soundless Outcry," by Su Kyoung An, Li Jiang and former faculty member Hea Joo Lee. Winner of the ITAA Innovative Design Scholarship Award.
- "Wave for Independence," by An and spring 2019 CMU graduate Cassandra Wentela.
- "Double Consciousness" by Alexis Quinney, who graduated with a Master of Science degree in apparel product development and merchandising technology in spring 2018.
- "Distortion," by Jiang with former faculty advisor Ling Zhang.
- "Water Ripples on Fabric," by Jiang with An as design mentor.
- "Consecration," by CMU junior Jiayu Li with An as design mentor.
- "Synthesis of Craftsmanship and Innovative Technology for Creative Apparel Design Inspired by Optical Art," by Jiang and Zhang.
- "The Development of Hijab in the 21st Century," by Khaloud Sultan Alsalamah, who graduated with a Master of Science degree in apparel product development and merchandising technology in spring 2019, and An.
- "Investigation of Air Permeability of Handwoven Fabrics," by faculty members Seung Bong Ko, Pimpawan Kumphai and An.
- "Thermal Properties of Different Hat Fiber Contents for Baby," by Wentela and An.
"This exhibition shows the breadth of work being done in the fashion program and how it is internationally recognized," Mamp said.
"The Soundless Outcry," by Su Kyoung An, Li Jiang and Hea Joo Lee.
Su Kyoung An with "Wave for Independence," co-created with Cassandra Wentela.
"Distortion," by Li Jiang with design mentor Ling Zhang.