FAQs regarding Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct Policy

​​​​​​​​​​​​What is prohibited under the Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct Policy?

CMU's Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct Policy prohibits dating violence, domestic violence, and interpersonal violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, stalking, and retaliation.​​​

Who can I speak with confidentially about sexual and gender-based misconduct?

You may speak confidentially to the following resources on campus about your experience or concerns about sexual and gender-based misconduct. Confidential resources are under no obligation to share your concerns with the Title IX Coordinator.

  • CMU Counseling Center – 989-774-3381
  • CMU Care Advocate
  • CMU Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates (SAPA) – 989-774-2255
  • Sexual Aggression Services 989-774-6677
  • CMU's Employee Assistance Program – 800-788-8630
  • Health care providers, including medical professionals at CMU's Student Health Services providing related health care services
  • Members of the clergy providing related clerical or spiritual guidance

Who can I speak with if I want my concern investigated?

If you want your concern investigated by C​MU, contact Mary Martinez, Title IX Coordinator and Interim Executive Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity at 989-774-3253. 

If you want your concern investigated by the police, you should contact the CMU Police Department or the local police by dialing 911.

Do I have to choose between pursuing criminal charges or an on-campus complaint?

No, you do not have to choose one or the other. You have the right to pursue charges or file a concurrent complaint with local law enforcement or any other state or federal agency, whether or not you pursue a complaint through CMU.

What is a designated official?

An individual who, when they are notified of any sexual and gender-based misconduct, is required to immediately report the information to the Title IX Coordinator or designee.  Designated Officials include, but are not limited to:

  • Senior Officers;
  • Athletic Coaches, Trainers, Staff, and Volunteers;
  • CMUPD Employees;
  • Professional and Administrative Staff;
  • Academic Department Chairs;
  • Resident Hall Directors and residence life paraprofessional staff;
  • Peer Advisors and other Residential College staff.
Additionally, all supervisors have a responsibility to report allegations or observations of employees engaging in sexual and gender-based misconduct.

If I am a designated official, do I need to report an incident of sexual and gender-based misconduct that occurred off-campus?

Yes, all instances of sexual and gender-based misconduct involving a CMU student, faculty, staff member, or guest, whether they occur on or off-campus, must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator as soon as possible.

If I experience sexual and gender-based misconduct, what can be done for me while CMU is investigating my concerns?

The Title IX Coordinator will coordinate supportive measures including, but not limited to: no-contact orders, residential reassignments, changes to academic assignments, counseling, or emergency removal.​

What if I experienced sexual and gender-based misconduct while I was drinking alcohol or using drugs?

The CMU Office of Student Conduct will not pursue alcohol or drug charges against students reporting incidents of sexual and gender-based misconduct in good faith. 

The CMUPD has a practice of not pursuing charges for improper use of alcohol against a person subjected to an alleged act of sexual and gender-based misconduct.