Gates Cambridge Scholarships are for graduate study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded on the following criteria: intellectual ability, leadership capacity, a good fit with Cambridge, and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
- Must be a citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Must apply to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study:
- Ph.D. (three year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- Must apply to study any subject available at the University of Cambridge
- Must be admitted to one of the degrees above at Cambridge through the University's normal admission procedures - the Trust does not admit students
- Must be applying for a new course of study or research if they are already a student at Cambridge - e.g. those who have already started their Ph.D. are not eligible to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Candidates who are, or have been, in receipt of a Gates Cambridge Scholarship may apply for a second scholarship; such candidates must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
Year of Application
Senior or Graduate
Although the Gates Cambridge Scholarship does not require institutional endorsement, the National Scholarship Program would like to assist candidates in the application process and require the completion of a Pre-Application.
The application includes three letters of recommendation (two academic and one other), transcripts, and degree certificate (if applicable). See the Gates Cambridge website for the official list of application materials.Application DeadlinesFor campus and national deadlines, click here.
Printable information on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Phame Camarena, Ph.D., - Director, University Honors and National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maureen Harke - Coordinator, National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, email@example.com