Goldwater Scholarships are designed to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. The purpose of the Goldwater Scholarship Foundation is to provide a continual source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue careers in these fields.
A candidate must:
- be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education
- have a college grade-point average of at least a "B" (or the equivalent) and be in the upper fourth of his or her class
- be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a permanent resident. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee's intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card)
Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Engineering
Year of Application
Sophomore or Junior
To be considered a CMU nominee and to advance in the competition, candidates must complete and submit the pre-application form to the National Scholarship Program. The online application will not allow students to submit without the university approval.
*Submit the Goldwater Scholarship pre-application and a copy of your unofficial CMU transcript to Maureen Harke at email@example.com. Make sure that your name and address are included on the unofficial transcript.
The application includes the supporting documents checklist, one-two page essay (two column format), college transcript, other college transcripts for courses not taken at current institution, a copy of Permanent Resident card, and three recommenders. See the Goldwater Scholarship website for the official list of application materials.
For campus and national deadlines, click here.
- Phame Camarena, Ph.D., - Director, University Honors and National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maureen Harke - Coordinator, National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, email@example.com