The priority pre-application deadline to be considered for a nomination to compete for a Mitchell Scholarship is April 13th.
The Mitchell opportunities, institutions options, and application guidance can be explored on the Mitchell Scholarship website.
The official deadline to submit Mitchell Scholarship pre-applications is June 16. After June 16, the National Scholarship Program will only review Mitchell pre-applications from students who can demonstrate significant knowledge about the scholarship, and their proposed institution of higher education and program of study.
If you have any questions after thoroughly exploring the opportunities, please email Dr. Maureen Harke at firstname.lastname@example.org
George J. Mitchell Scholarship Information
The Mitchell Scholarship Program is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service. The award covers a year of postgraduate study in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
A candidate must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 29 of the year of application (those who turn 30 on September 30th are not eligible).
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar. Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
- While married applicants or applicants with partners are accepted, no allowance is made for the expenses of an applicant's spouse, partner, or dependents. It is important to note that the relevant govenrnment agency may require spouses or partners who are non-EU citizens to enroll full-time and prove financial resources for the year or to obtain a work permit before seeking paid employment in Ireland. Please check with the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland for additional information.
Year of Application
To be recommended as a CMU nominee and to advance in the competition, candidates much complete and submit the pre-application form to the National Scholarship Program. See scholarship deadlines.
The application requirements consist of a CMU nomination, pass port style photo, all college transcripts, personal statement, a scan of your signature and a Mitchell video interview.Process
Note that the Mitchell Scholarship competition rules indicate that an applicant may not get feedback or assistance on their competition essay. The applicant must state explicitly in the application that the essay is their own work and that they did not receive feedback or guidance to write the essay.
For campus and national deadlines, click here.
- Phame Camarena, Ph.D. - Director, University Honors and National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, email@example.com
- Maureen Harke, Ph.D. - Coordinator, National Scholarship Program, (989) 774-3902, firstname.lastname@example.org