The CMU Honors Program promotes the academic and individual growth of its students by providing unique opportunities to get involved within the university. Honors students are heavily encouraged to take advantage of study abroad trips, undergraduate research and student internships. Students also benefit from the distinctive academic, cultural and social events hosted within the Honors Community. Through these experiences, sutdents gain the knowledge and skills to advance within their fields of study and create meaningful change within their communities.
University Honors, a community of scholars since 1961, is home to:
- The Centralis Scholar Program
- The Honors Scholar Program
- The National Scholarship Program
Size of Program:
- University Honors is home to approximately 800 Honors students or about 4% of the CMU on-campus student population.
CMU Honors Vision Statement
The CMU Honors Program will serve the University by fostering a diverse community of scholars committed to academic excellence, intellectual engagement, and social responsibility.
CMU Honors Mission Statement
Providing high academic ability students with unique educational opportunities and experiences, the CMU Honors Program challenges students to aim higher and to achieve more academically, personally, and professionally for the greater good of our disciplines, our society, and our world.
CMU Honors Core Values
The primary values that guide the implementation of the Honors Program mission include:
- Critical thought, scholarly inquiry, and creative expression
- Respect and appreciation for diverse peoples and ideas in a global society
- High standards for integrity and personal aspirations
- Active Citizenship and service for the greater good
The CMU Honors Program is a nationally-recognized Honors Program, winning 9 national student publication awards and the coveted National Honors Student of the Year Award.