What are the Honors Program admissions criteria?
Are there scholarships available for students in the Honors Program?
Yes. For high school seniors the following scholarships are available for those entering CMU fall 2014.
||How to Apply / Compete for this scholarship|
|Centralis Scholar Award
- Compete in the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition fall 2013. Must have a 3.7 HS GPA and a minimum 27 ACT score to compete. See competition details below.
- Compete in the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition fall 2013. Must have a 3.7 HS GPA and a minimum 27 ACT to compete. See competition details below.
When can I apply for admission to the CMU Honors Program?
ALERT: FALL 2014 HONORS SCHOLAR CLASS IS CURRENTLY FILLED!
At this point in time all Honors Scholar offers available for fall 2014 admission have been made. Though not likely, but should spots become available, interested new applicants (who did not compete in fall 2013 at the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition) can apply through the regular admissions process, in which case the applications are due March 1. Students who competed at the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition in fall 2013 who did not receive an award will be also be considered if any spots become available.
Registration for the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition will be available in September 2014 on the CMU Admissions Website for those high school students intending to enroll at CMU fall 2015.
How do I apply?
For high school seniors there are three pathways for admission to the CMU Honors Program:
|Priority Early Admission to the Honors Program|
- Priority consideration for early admission to the Honors Program will be given to students who compete at the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition Days held on CMU's campus on Saturday, October 26, 2013 or Saturday, November 16, 2013. Applicants must have at least a 3.7 high school GPA and a minimum 27 ACT score to compete in the Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition Days.
- To be eligible to compete, applicants must: 1) Apply to CMU on or before October 18, 2013 for the October 26 Competition; and on or before November 8, 2013 for the November 16 competition. When applying be sure to submit your official high school transcripts and ACT or SAT scores along with your CMU application. Note that this is a separate application from the Scholarship Competition Application that you will download from the Admissions website and bring with you to the Competition Day. 2) Additionally applicants must complete their registration for one of the Competition Days on or before October 18, 2013 for the October 26 Competition; and on or before November 8, 2013 for the November 16 competition. Registration can done online through the CMU Admissions website found at go.cmich.edu/visit or by calling the Admissions office at (989) 774-3706 or toll free at 888-292-5366. 3) Once you have registered download a copy of the Competition Application at go.cmich.edu/honors. This application must be completed in its entirety and presented onsite when you arrive for the Competition Day. Note that the Competition application is different than the CMU Admissions Application referenced above.
- During the competition you will have one hour to write an essay and respond to a prompt. The topic of the essay will be provided at the competition. During this half day event you and your family will discover how CMU's programs and services will help you reach your academic and career goals. You will have opportunities to receive information about CMU's academic programs at special forums as well as explore CMU's advanced on-campus facilities. You will also have opportunities to meet with Honors staff and students to learn more about the benefits of being a member of the CMU Honors Program.
- At the competition conclusion offer letters will be mailed to in mid-December, 2013 to the winning students. Students have until February 1, 2014 to accept/decline the award or to ask for an extension to the deadline. Please note due to the number of students who compete for these scholarships it is expected that most or all of the seats available for fall 2014 will be filled through the competition. Any remaining seats will be recruited and awarded through the regular and open admission processes, including reconsideration of Competition applicants that did not receive a first-round offer.
|Regular Admission to the Honors Program|
- The regular deadline to apply for Honors Program Admission, (open to those who did NOT compete in the Fall Centralis and Honors Scholarship Competition Days), is March 1, 2014. Applications for regular admission will be made available for download on this website beginning January 2013. Admission decision letters will be mailed to regular admission applicants who met the March 1 deadline on March 15, 2014. Please note there will be a limited number of seats, if any, remaining for the regular Honors admission process as it is anticipated all of the seats available for fall 2014 will be filled though the early admission process granted to Centralis and Honors Scholarship competitors. During the regular admissions process, please note applicants who do not meet the suggested standards of 3.7 HS GPA and 27 ACT are encouraged to apply and to provide additional evidence supporting academic promise and fit with the CMU Honors community.
|Open Admission to the Honors Program|
- Students who did not compete during the fall competition days and did not meet the March 1 regular deadline can still apply to the Honors Program if seats are still available after March 1 through the Honors open admission process. At this point seats available are expected to be few in number, if any, and will be reserved for students with outstanding credentials and applications. The process will be competitive and only strong applicants will be encouraged to apply for these remaining seats. Applications for open Honors admission will be made available on this website March 2. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis until all scholarships/spots have been awarded.