Admission for Current and Transfer Students


Honors Program Track II Admission for Fall 2021



Can current students and transfer students apply to the Honors Program? 

Yes! Each year the Honors Program reserves space for a number of current and transfer students to be admitted through the Honors Program Track II admission process. Students can be eligible to apply as early as the spring semester of their freshman year. 


What is the Honors Program Admission criteria for current and transfer students?

Honors Program Track II applicants must have a cumulative college GPA of 3.5 or higher and complete the Track II Honors Program Application. Holistic emphasis on academic strengths and potential, leadership and involvement, community engagement, critical thinking and creativity, passion and commitment, and alignment with Honors Program core values. 

When can current and transfer students apply to the Honors Program?

For priority consideration for fall 2021 admission, students must submit the Honors Program Track II Admission Application to the Honors Program by February 5, 2021.  Priority applicants will be notified of their status no later than February 12, 2021.

As space permits, there is an extended application deadline through August 15, 2021 (or until the class is full).  After priority admission is complete, admission decisions will be made on a rolling basis.

The Honors Program Track II Application can be found on this page:

2021 Honors Track II Application.docx

What requirements must current and transfer Honors students complete in order to graduate from the Honors Program?

Honors Program Track II applicants must:

  1. Enroll in HON 300 (3), Introduction to Honors, during their first fall semester in the Honors program. 
  2. Complete an HON-designator Honors seminar course (3).
  3. In addition, they must complete at least 9 additional credits of Honors coursework before graduation from CMU, (in addition to HON 499).  Honors coursework is defined as HON classes, H-designated classes, and Honors Contracts successfully completed.  Honors Contracts may be used to fulfill a maximum of 6 of these 9 credits, with the approval of the Honors Director. 
  4. To enhance exposure to cultural diversity (the study of a cultural aspect substantially different than one's own culture either in or outside the United States for college credit), complete a minimum of 3-4 credit hours of the following at the college level:  Study Abroad courses for college credit; HON 309, Honors Global Diversity; Foreign Language Courses; American Sign Language Courses; and/or Honors Cultural Diversity courses approved by the Honors Council. 
  5. Complete 90 service hours during one's time at CMU.  Up to 30 hours earned in HON 310, Honors Academic Service Learning, can be applied to this requirement.
  6. Complete an Honors Senior Project and simultaneously enroll in HON 499 (3). 

Note:  At least 6 credits total of Honors coursework must be taken at the 300 level or above (in addition to HON 499).  Also, students are required to earn a grade of B- or better in all H, HON, or Honors Contract courses.  And Honors students must maintain a cumulative CMU grade point average of 3.5 to remain active in and graduate from the Honors Program.


Is there an Honors scholarship for admitted current and transfer students in the Honors Program?

At this time, specific scholarships tied to Honors admission are not available for Track II applicants.  However, we have been able to provide some support for study abroad, and Honors courses that require domestic travel, to Honors students admitted through Track II admissions.  A limited number of small Honors Program scholarships are available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are active in the Honors Program. These scholarships are advertised annually through the Honors Program listserv. Students are encouraged to consult their academic department, colleges, and CMU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for additional scholarship opportunities.


Is Honors housing available for current and transfer students?

Possibly, depending on the year, there may be space available in Larzelere Hall, the Honors living/learning community.  Interested students should contact the Office of Residence Life for more information.