The CIS Lightboard Maker Space is a self-booking, user-guided recording studio, for instructors, located in Park Library 413. The Lightboard Maker Space makes it easy to record high-quality and engaging video content for courses.
What can be created in the Lightboard Maker Space?
1. Reserve Space, 2. Record Presentation, 3. Upload and Share
- The Lightboard Maker Space, located in Park Library 413I.1, is available to reserve 8am-5pm Monday-Friday.
- To reserve, create an outlook calendar event and invite
email@example.com as an attendee as shown below. Outlook will recognize the email address as a room resource when booking.
- If available, the space will auto-book and a confirmation email will be sent that includes a
link to a website to prepare users for recording. Please review that site before arrival in the maker space.
- If an attempt is made to reserve a time that is not available, an email declining the invitation will be sent so another time can be chosen.
- The Lightboard Maker Space uses the centrally supported Panopto recorder app to record, upload, edit, and share presentations.
- Once a user logs in to Panopto, they are ready to record using one of three different recording methods:
Method 1: Standard Method - Record Lecture and Handwritten Notes - This is the simplest, default method and involves stepping to the lightboard, pressing the record button, and delivering the material. During recording, the 55” confidence monitor will mirror the presenter's actions in real-time.
Method 2: Graphic Overlay Method - Record Lecture, Handwritten Notes, & Overlay PPT Graphics – To overlay and annotate PPT graphics, create a PPT presentation with visuals added to a BLACK background. The BLACK will be removed during recording, but the graphics will be overlaid on the video. The 55” confidence monitor will display the overlaid visuals enabling the user to annotate where appropriate.
Method 3: Teleprompter Method - Record Lecture and Handwritten Notes while using the 55” LCD as a Teleprompter - With this method, users can enter talking points on a BLACK PPT background and then display them on the 55” confidence monitor without recording them. This can be helpful to keep lectures on topic. We recommend placing talking points in a discreet corner of the PPT slide as shown below.
- The room has step-by-step guidance posted on the wall making it easy to go through the recording process multiple times if desired. Be sure to view the Lightboard Maker Space Wall Guidance ahead of time.
Upload and Share
- After recording, users are guided through steps to upload their video to their personal Chipcast/Panopto folder.
- Once processing is completed, users receive an email for each video they recorded with links to view, edit, and share their content.
- By default, recordings are only viewable by their respective creators, so in-room guidance for setting permissions is provided for faculty looking to share a link with their class.
Lightboard Maker Space Video Tour & Best Practices
For a tour of the Lightboard Maker Space, contact Phil Coffman
, Manager of Creative Media Production.
Recording Equipment in the Video Maker Space
- Industrial-grade, aluminum frame with a 6ft x 4ft custom cut, low-iron glass
- 4K camera with position control
- LED studio lighting system
- 55” LCD confidence monitor
- 3-element microphone with digital signal processing
- Acoustical treatments
- Record using the familiar Panopto Recorder App
Video Ideas for Overlaying Graphics