Copyright Permissions and Course Reserves
Central Michigan University observes all U.S. laws governing the use of copyrighted material. Copyrighted materials made available as part of a course are to be used for the educational purposes of that course only. These materials may not be downloaded, reproduced, or further disseminated without written permission.
If you are requiring your students to read a specific article or excerpt from a book, copyright permission must be obtained prior to using the material.
All requests for copyright permission should be submitted 12 weeks prior to the start of class.
- Securing permission to use the required materials
- Obtaining originals of the materials being requested
- Scanning all the materials, including those authored by yourself
- Typing the required credit lines on material
- Placing the course reserves material into Blackboard
All copyright permissions will be for electronic rights unless electronic rights are not available. In that case, photocopy rights will be requested.
Approved copyrighted materials can be posted in the course Blackboard shell for student access or can be compiled and
made into a course pack through Printing Services
and made available for student purchase through the bookstore. Arrangements for course pack availability should be made through the department.