it is important to be aware of the risks of travel begin researching information about your destination.
- Safety Abroad Video
- U.S. State Department provides valuable information for U.S. citizens traveling abroad. There is a special website for:
- Stay Safe! on the CMU Police website offers safety tips and safety videos. TheStay Safe! Information will provide important information to be prepared for an active shooter whether you are in the United States or abroad.
- It is important that each student take responsibility for his/her own safety by staying informed and making wise decisions.
It has been widely publicized that laptops and cell phones can easily be hacked, especially when using public WiFi. Read the FBI WiFi Security Advice to protect yourself.
- CMU's Travel Health Clinic can assess travelers' health needs based on their health history and the country to which they will travel. Immunizations are administered, typically at a more affordable cost than off campus. All students studying or traveling abroad are encouraged to visit the CMU Travel Health Clinic.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides online health information, including country-specific travel health and immunization information.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) produces a report with information about main health risks for travelers by country.
- The Centers for Disease Control/Travelers Health offers an online Travel Health Clinic Locator and provides useful information regarding health risks, vaccinations and other travel health-related resources.
- Physical and dental exam. As a precaution, it is recommended that all students have a physical and a dental exam prior to departure. Students who are on medication should request that the prescription be filled for the entire study abroad period. Students who may need medical care while abroad should inform the CMU study abroad staff in advance.
- Study abroad insurance. All students are required to have health, medical evacuation and repatriation insurance when studying abroad. CMU provides a policy for students through GEO Blue.