Travel Resources

​​​​​This site offers a variety of information to help you to start getting ready to go abroad. 

Currency Conversion

Guides and General Information

Airfare and Train Information

  • STA Travel is a worldwide travel agency that works exclusively with students.  Be sure to check their BOOK NOW, PAY LATER program that allows students to pay as little as $49 for a flight deposit.
  • Student Universe is a travel agency that offers flights with student discounts.
  • Eurail Passes offers a variety of rail ticket passes to travel in 28 countries in Europe that can be used for travel throughout Europe (exception: the United Kingdom).
  • BritRail Passes provide international visitors to the United Kingdom to travel by train throughout Britain.

Travel Information

  • Passports are issued by the U.S. State Department to U.S. citizens.  Applications may be downloaded on this site and submitted to your local passport office. 
  • Visas are the permission of a foreign government to enter the country.  Certain countries do not require that students or visitors apply in advance for a visa, but other countries do.  To learn if a visa is required to enter your host country, search the internet for website of the nearest embassy or consulate (many countries have a consulate in Chicago or Detroit; all embassies are in Washington, D.C.).  Instructions for applying for a visa will be found on the webpage.
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection provide information regarding regulations when traveling to and from the United States.
  • Transportation Security Administration  provides current information on regulations and restrictions on transportation, including air travel.
  • International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is a student identity card that provides discounts around the world.
  • Youth Hostels International is an organization providing low-cost accommodations to travelers around the world.
  • FBI Background Checks are required in order to receive a visa from some countries. 

Visa Information

A visa is permission from a foreign government to enter their country.  To learn if your country of destination requires a visa, please visit the U.S. State Departments website with the list of Embassies and Consulates in the United States.  Most Consulates serving Michigan residents are in Chicago or Detroit.

Posting Photos

Many students choose to post their photos online while they are abroad or create a website or blog about their experience. Some popular programs include: