Admission requirements and deadlines will vary based on the program for which you are applying. To view a list of CMU's graduate programs and requirements, please visit the Graduate Degree Programs page.
The application deadline to start in:
Fall (August) is: May 15
Spring (January) is: October 1
- Apply Online as an International student pursuing a graduate degree (master’s, doctoral or specialist).
- Pay $50 application fee online
- Transcripts/individual mark sheets/diplomas. Applicants must provide official copies of these documents mailed in a sealed envelope for the school(s) you attended or have the schools send them directly to CMU at the address below or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents are required in the native language and a certified English translation is also required. Copies uploaded to your application will not be accepted. Mailing Address (transcripts, exam results etc.):
Central Michigan University
Attn: International Applications Processing
802 Industrial Drive, Global North
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 USA
- English Proficiency: TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, Pearson Test. See our English Language Standards.
- ***English Language Proficiency Testing Exemptions (List of Exempt Countries): To view a list of English Language Proficiency Testing, Exempt Countries please click HERE.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A score of 500 PBT/61 IBT is required for admission with stipulations or 550 PBT/79 IBT for regular admission. School Code 1106
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Module: A score of 5.5 required for admission stipulations or 6.5 for regular admission.
- Pearson Test of English, Academic Module: A score of 44 for admission with stipulations or 53 for regular admission.
- Michigan English Test (MET): a score of 52 is required for regular admission.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): A grade of 5 in English at the Higher Level is required for regular admission.
- Advanced Placement (AP): a score of 4 on the English Language or English Literature Exams for regular admission.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or General Certificate of Education (GSE): a score of A or B on the English Language Exam for regular admission.
- SAT evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW) score of 520 or ACT English score of 21.
- ELS Language Center Program: Completion of Level 112 for regular admission.
- ELI (CMU English Language Program): Successful ELI completion and confirmation by the ELI Office for regular admission.
- Graduate of U.S. high school with at least three years of attendance.
- Completion of courses that meet CMU's requirements for Oral English (i.e. COM 101) and Writing competency (i.e. ENGL 101/103 and ENGL 201).
- Successful completion of a course of study (e.g. high school diploma, associate degree, baccalaureate degree) at a recognized institution where the language of instruction is English.
- Successful completion of 24+ graded, academic, postsecondary credits with a GPA of 2.50 at a recognized institution where the institution's language of instruction is English.
- English Language Programs: English Language Programs from outside CMU may be considered on an individual basis.
- Test scores are valid for two (2) years from the test date. When tests provide "best scores" in specific areas, CMU will use the composite score generated by using the highest from each solution.
- Certain scores may qualify you for admission with stipulation. This stipulation would be that you complete courses in our English Language Institute.
Please check with the department or program to which you are applying, or their website, for any other departmental requirements which may include but are not limited to the following:
- Standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT)
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Once your application is complete it will be evaluated for acceptance. The most common mistake students make is submitting an incomplete application. Please be sure to verify your application is complete. You may do this by using the Track My App function in your online application or by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive your admissions status notification electronically to the email you used in your online application.
- Once you are admitted to the graduate program, Graduate and International Recruitment will contact you directly regarding immigration documents.
- You will submit your financial documents (bank statements), financial support form (provided by Graduate and International Recruitment), copy of passport or any other documents needed. Note: scanned and emailed copies are acceptable
- Once all required documents are received Graduate and International Recruitment will email you with information regarding your I-20.
The Office of Global Engagement's International Student and Scholar Services will reach out with information about arriving to CMU.
Admissions questions? Please contact: 989-774-4723 email@example.com
I-20 questions? Please contact: 989-774-1619 firstname.lastname@example.org
DS-2019, visa, or arrival questions? Please contact: 989-774-4308 email@example.com