Once your online application is submitted, make an appointment with an OGE advisor (visit the appointment scheduling page here
). Then, complete the directions below depending on whether you plan to file online or submit your forms by mail.
--For students planning to file and mail the paper form--
Please bring the following with you to your advisor appointment:
- Two photos meeting U.S. Department of State specifications for passports (view specifications here).
- Check or money order for $410 payable to The Department of Homeland Security OR completed Form G-1450 (download blank copy here) if you wish to pay your filing fee by credit card (money order option is recommended)
- OPTIONAL: Completed Form G-1145 (download blank copy here) if you would like to receive an electronic notification when USCIS accepts your application (note: this provides a notification that USCIS received your application; you will be able to track your case with your receipt number from there)
- Completed but unsigned and undated Form I-765 (download blank copy here - DO NOT SIGN OR DATE)
Photocopies (not originals) of any previous I-20 you have had for CPT or OPT authorization (page 2 of the I-20 shows CPT and OPT authorization); old I-20s that do not include CPT or OPT authorization are not required
- For Page 3, Part 2, Item 27, enter (c)(3)(B) (note: lowercase c, uppercase B)
- If you have been issued an I-20 with a different SEVIS ID in the past, either with CMU or another U.S. institution, you should explain that on page 7. This is not common. If yes, enter Page Number 3, Part Number 2, Item Number 26 into the first available item. Then, list all previous SEVIS ID numbers you have had.
- If you have ever been authorized for CPT or OPT in the past, regardless of level, school, or program, you should explain that on page 7. To do so, enter Page Number 3, Part Number 2, Item Number 27 into the first available item. You should indicate which practical training you were previously authorized for, at what level (bachelors, masters, doctoral), whether it was full time or part time, and your start and end dates (remember American date format: mm/dd/yy or use long form to avoid confusion [e.g. July 1, 2018]).
Photocopy of passport information pages
Photocopy of visa in passport
Copy of your most recent Form I-94 (download here or, if applicable, make a copy of the I-94 card in your passport or Form I-797A if you were approved for a change of status after your most recent entry to the United States).
IMPORTANT: Print all documents single sided and DO NOT STAPLE.
--For students planning to file online--
Complete the following steps online before your appointment, but DO NOT SUMBIT your application, DO NOT sign it, and DO NOT make the filing fee payment yet:
- Go to uscis.gov/file-online and follow the instructions to create an online account.
- Progress through the online application, but DO NOT submit or make the filing fee payment. This is just to create a draft version of the I-765 that your advisor can review.
- For your eligibility category, select c(3)(B) Student Post-Completion OPT
- For your reason for applying, select initial permission to accept employment
Complete the remaining questions by using the navigation on the left
- If you would like to use the OGE's address for mailing purposes, you may enter the following:
When asked for your I-94 arrival-departure record number, this can usually be found by downloading your I-94 from the I-94 website here (download here). This may also be a card in your passport or a section on a Form I-797 issued by the government for a change of status approval.
In care of: Tracy Nakajima, OGE; Ronan Hall 330; Office of Global Engagement; Mount Pleasant, MI 48859.
Note that the USCIS system may not recognize this address and may produce an error. You can ignore this.
If you do not already have a social security card, pay special attention to the questions where you can request one.
Once you have entered all the information under the "About You" heading, DO NOT upload any evidence or submit your application at this time. Instead, click on Review and Submit (we're only reviewing at that step, not submitting). If any errors appear, make sure to fix them. If no errors appear, click Next.
On the page with the heading Review the I-765 form information, click on the link that says View draft snapshot. This will download a PDF. Print or save this PDF. Bring this draft snapshot with you to your advisor appointment.
DO NOT submit your I-765 through the website yet. DO NOT make the filing fee payment yet. Instead, log out. The system will save your responses. You will come back to this system after your advisor appointment to finish and submit everything.
Students filing online should also have the following documents/items ready:
One photo meeting U.S. Department of State specifications for passports (view specifications here) in digital format (.jpg/.jpeg or .png); you may wish to try the
Department of State electronic passport photo tool
Past I-20s showing prior periods of CPT or OPT (if applicable) in digital format (.jpg/.jpeg or .pdf)
Passport information page (the page with your photo and personal information) in digital format (.jpg/.jpeg or .pdf)
Visa page from passport (.jpg/.jpeg or .pdf)
Your most recent Form I-94 (download here or, if applicable, make a digital copy of the I-94 card in your passport or Form I-797A if you were approved for a change of status after your most recent entry to the United States).
An available U.S.-based credit card or bank account and routing numbers for a U.S.-based bank account to complete the filing fee payment
Photos should be in .jpg/.jpeg, or .png format. Documents should be in .pdf, or .jpg/.jpeg format. Use only English letters, numbers, spaces, periods, hyphens, underscores, and parentheses in your document file names. DO NOT use any other non-English or special characters in your file names.