Tax Information for International Students & Scholars

  • ​​​​​Tax Filing Requirements

All international students and scholars who are non-residents for U.S. tax purposes, and who were in the U.S. at any time during the previous year, must file tax returns with the U.S. government. This requirement applies to all F-1 or J-1 students who, as of December 31, last year were in the United States for less than six calendar years and all J-1 scholars who were in the U.S. less than three years. This requirement applies even to non-resident students and scholars who received no income from U.S. sources during the calendar year.

If you are a non-resident student or scholar who received no income from U.S. sources in the last year (if you had interest income from a U.S. bank account, it is not considered as U.S. source income), you need to complete Form 8843. See link below for this form and instructions.

If you are a non-resident student or scholar who received income from U.S. sources in the last year (such as work income, interest income, scholarship or fellowship income), you need to complete a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843 and submit them to the Internal Revenue Service by April 15.

  • Filing Your Federal Taxes
Foreign National Tax Resource 

The OIA has arranged for you to have free access to an online tax preparation software tool called Sprintax.  

Instructions for utilizing Sprintax will be available in late February. Please check back to this page for additional instructions at that time. 

  • Filing Your State Taxes

After you have completed your federal taxes, you must also file taxes for the State of Michigan if you received income last year. You can download your State Tax Forms from the Payroll website at

Other Resources

Professional Preparation

You may wish to hire a tax preparer to do your taxes for you. For a listing of such services, look under "Tax Return Preparation" in the Yellow Pages of your telephone book.​
​International students: please note that the account window below is exclusively for Sprintax, a third-party company with which the OIA has contracted out for tax purposes only.​  This account does not use your CMU Global ID, as it is an entirely separate, non-CMU account.​


Central Michigan University • 1200 S. Franklin St. • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 • 989-774-4000 Transparency Reporting