We think of our work with each scholar as a holistic journey together. We get to know our students really well and we support them in many ways. It goes beyond academics. We are really in the business of growing amazingly confident and strong individuals who know they have the choice to take their education and experiences in life to great levels. Our students have already overcome huge obstacles in order to make it to college. We listen and learn from these experiences and we are intent on moving beyond them. Our focus is really on encouraging our students to make healthy choices in their lives that will enable them to excel on all levels – academically and otherwise.
The magic comes from our relationships with the scholars and relationships among the scholars and with their faculty mentors. The group grows and evolves together and supports one another. In the end, you have an amazing group of students who understand one another and want to see each other succeed. And, you have a special group of students supported by a very special group of faculty intent on their success.
The goal of McNair is have our scholars carry on in the footsteps of Dr. McNair (click HERE for more on his amazing life) by achieving their Ph.D. and then giving back. Giving back to society through their work, yes, but also giving back to the community and by mentoring students and helping others to find their way. The Ph.D. opens doors to do some really cool things in life!
It’s the McNair Mission.
The McNair experience:
- Be someone who is curious and loves learning. Be someone who is passionate about something. Be someone who is willing to be challenged and exposed to new things. Be someone who has a positive outlook on life and grabs hold of opportunity. Be someone who works hard and has fun.
- Find out about the McNair program and develop a relationship with us. Find out as much as possible about the McNair program and how it could benefit you. Find out about the awesome scholars who are already part of the McNair Mission.
- Make sure you qualify as a low income and first generation college student and/or an underrepresented student. Make sure you have the best grades possible. The cut-off is a 2.8 GPA, but know that we are looking for academically motivated students that want to excel.
- Think about your interests and goals. Talk to as many faculty in your area as possible and learn about their research. Ask them why you should consider getting your Ph.D. Apply to McNair with some ideas of what you would like to do in life and how getting your Ph.D. will be an important step for you along the way.
- Be selected. Be super excited. Maybe a little nervous. Immediately start thinking of faculty you would like to work with – selecting a mentor is step number one in McNair. Your mentor is the foundation of your experience as a scholar. Be mindful about growing the best relationship possible!
The bottom line is that we are here for our students – at whatever point they may be in their personal journeys. Everyone is different and everyone has a unique set of needs and desires. We try to respond in positive and helpful ways. We encourage our students explore options for themselves. We challenge them, we see them falter and then we celebrate their accomplishments. It’s about our scholars rocking it out on a daily basis – one step at a time.
We are so lucky to be able to provide this kind of experience and be a part of this special journey. We are always looking for new talent – come talk to us if you think you qualify for McNair and you are considering pursuing your Ph.D.
It could change your life.