RESEARCH INSTITUTE, INC (ESRI)
INSTITUTE OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Central Michigan University's unlimited statewide license with Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) allows any institution that has signed an agreement with CMU to have unlimited on-campus installations of GIS software from ESRI.
The software facilitates the use of GIS technology for academic research, teaching and administrative tasks such as campus mapping, alumni tracking, facilities management and marketing activities.
Central Michigan University entered into a site license agreement for the State of Michigan on March 1, 2002. The license is renewed on a yearly basis ending Februrary 28 of each year. The following
Higher Education institutions are participants in the Michigan Statewide ESRI License:
- Central Michigan University
- Calvin College
- Eastern Michigan University
- Grand Valley State University
- Kalamazoo College
- Lansing Community College
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Technological University
- Mott Community College
- Northern Michigan University
- Schoolcraft College
- University Center at Gaylord
- University of Michigan
- Wayne State University
- Western Michigan University
The Agreement allows participating Michigan Institutions (faculty, staff and students) the use of ESRI software on
university owned computers. The following items are included in the statewide license agreement:
Unlimited Site License Benefits
- Unlimited ArcInfo or ArcEditor Seats
- Unlimited Seats of other software listed in the Deliverables
- Conference Passes (Including EdUC) � determined by contract
- Technical Support Contacts � determined by contract
- Unlimited Virtual Campus Standard Subscription
Site License Deliverables
One copy of each of the following software (additional media/documentation may be purchased for a fee):
- ArcView 10.0
- ArcGIS extensions: ArcGIS Spatial Analyst, ArcGIS 3D Analyst, ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst, ArcGIS Publisher, ArcGIS Schematics, ArcScan for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Military Analyst, Maplex for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Network Analyst, ArcGIS Tracking Analyst.
- ArcGIS Server - Enterprise Advanced with Spatial, 3D, and Network Extensions (no data included with Network Extension) (Note: Workgroup is included in EDN for Education)
- ArcIMS Route Server (By request only. Data is not included and must be purchased separately.)
- EDN for Education (Same contents as EDN)
- ArcPad Application Builder including ArcPad. (The ArcPad 7.1 release includes a StreetMap Premium Tele Atlas North America [US and Canada] DVD).
Other GIS Software
- ArcLogistics Route (with data)
BusinessMAP 4.5 (by request only - no longer updated or supported)
ArcView 3.x Products
MapObjects-Windows Edition (by request only - no longer updated or supported)
MapObjects-Java Edition (by request only - no longer updated or supported)
- ArcView 3.x (for Windows)
- ArcView 3.x extensions: ArcView Spatial Analyst, ArcView Network Analyst, ArcView 3D Analyst, ArcPress for ArcView, and StreetMap 1.1
ArcView Tracking Analyst 1.x (by request only)
NOTE: All 3.x licenses are by request only.
ESRI Software Promotional Offer for GIS Students at Institutions with a Campus-Wide Site License
ESRI offers ArcView 9.3.1 and 10.0 Student 1-year timeout software free for students taking GIS-related courses at universities and colleges with ESRI campus-wide site licenses.
To verify eligibility, the free timeout software must be requested by a professor and shipped to the professor at a valid campus address for which an ESRI software campus-wide site license exists.
Disclaimer: Offer is valid for U.S. addresses only.
The Agreement includes:
- Limited ESRI User Conference passes per institution
- Virtual Campus Training Subscription (unlimited access to all asynchronous, auto-attended Virtual Campus Courses authored by ESRI)
- ESRI Map Book
- Site licensed ESRI software cannot be installed on non-CMU owned computers, including student, faculty, or staff owned computers. *
- Site licensed ESRI software cannot be used for any projects that generates a profit.
- Site licensed ESRI software cannot be used for any project that is not related to CMU coursework, management, or research.
- Site licensed ESRI software cannot be used for any project that competes in any way with private sector activities.
- The folowing software may NOT be used for administrative purposes:
TeleAtlas Data for ArcLogistics
ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension
ArcGIS Server Data Interoperability
NOTE: Administrative Use licenses for these products/data can be purchased separately from the site license.
ESRI Press Desk Copy Request Form
Professors, teachers, and university faculty members who are considering adopting an ESRI Press title as a course book may request a complimentary copy by submitting the following information. Instructors are limited to receiving one desk copy of the current version of each title per year, and a total of three titles during any four-month period & no more than three complimentary titles during a four-month period. Visit
Offer is valid for U.S. addresses only.
Obtaining ESRI Keycodes
Installation of ESRI software will require a keycode. Keycodes can be obtained online at myESRI. A login ID and password will be required. Please contact your campus administrator for access.
To obtain exchange hardware keys or purchase additional keys:
NOTE: If your site license is updating to version 10.0, you will not need this section anymore, as hardware keys and keycodes are no longer used at version 10. Instead, use the login at
http://myesri.com/. All licenses for version 10.0 will come from
Virtual Campus Training
ESRI offers courses that teach the latest GIS technology as well as how different industries use GIS and the science of geographic information. The Virtual Campus Library offers the most comprehensive guide to GIS literature on the Internet. The Virtual Campus courses consist of self-paced, Web-based GIS instruction modules built around either specific ESRI GIS software packages (e.g., ArcView Spatial Analyst or ArcInfo 8) or specific disciplines (e.g., Forestry and Hydrology). Individual courses typically require 18-24 hours to complete. Participants of the Michigan statewide license have access to unlimited seats. For more information visit the ESRI Virtual Campus site:
Please contact your virtual campus administrator to register for a course. The campus administrator is simply the administrative contact at each institution
[View Word file listing Virtual Campus Administrators).] If your institution does not have a virtual campus account, please complete the online form to receive a Subscription Master Code for an unlimited ESRI Standard Subscription.
Who Do I Contact for Assistance?
Each institution has designated a campus administrator as well as GIS specialists and virtual campus administrators for their institution.
handle the institution�s contract with Central Michigan University for the ESRI software. Each campus administrator also designates the GIS specialists and Virtual Campus Administrator for their institution. If you have an administrative question that pertains to your institution, please contact your administrative contact listed.
(Click here for a complete list of Campus Administrators)GIS Specialists
are authorized individuals for your institution who may contact ESRI directly for technical assistance. All unauthorized callers will be referred to the Statewide Coordinator. These callers will then be referred to the GIS specialist for the appropriate institution. If you need technical assistance, please contact your GIS Specialist directly.
(Click here for a complete list of GIS specialists).
Some institutions may only have one GIS specialist, where others may have three. Your institution may pur chase additional GIS Specialists, if needed. Please contact the Statewide License Administrator at (989) 774-1771 if you wish to add additional GIS Specialists for your institution under this agreement.
Virtual Campus Training Administrators have been designated for each institution. Please contact your Virtual Campus Training Administrator to register for training.
(View Word file listing Virtual Campus Training Administrators).
If your institution is interested in learning more about the Michigan Statewide ESRI License, or has administrative questions, please contact the statewide license administrator:|
Central Michigan University
208 Warriner Hall
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48859
(989) 774-1771 (telephone)
(989) 774-1430 (fax)
ESRI Education Website dedicated to educational customers.
Department of Geography at Central Michigan University
IMAGIN (Improving Michigan's Access to Geographic Information Networks)