The Office of Information Technology provides and supports many different technologies at CMU, from learning technologies for faculty and students to administrative technologies for staff. This page contains a selection of the technology that you'll commonly interact with a staff member at CMU.
A great place to start getting to know about technologies in use at CMU is our
Technology Awareness & Training website. There's a lot of great information on there right now, and we're actively working to add even more to it, so make sure to check back regularly.
Of course, if you're having trouble with anything listed on this page, or if you just need some technical help in general, the
OIT Help Desk has your back. You can
chat with us online, or even
drop in to see us in person. You can find out more at
Or, if you're just looking for our number, give us a call at
Your online username/account at CMU is known as your
Global ID. Generally, your Global ID comprises the first five letters of your last name, a number, then your first and middle initials. For example, if your name is Frank T. Chippewa, your Global ID might be chipp1ft.
It's incredibly important that you
don't share your Global ID password with anyone, since it can be used to access a lot of information about you, including the ability to change your direct deposit and HR benefits settings.
If you're new to CMU's faculty and haven't set up your Global ID yet, you can do so by visiting
https://myaccount.cmich.edu/newaccount. If that doesn't work for you, or if you need any other help, please contact the OIT Help Desk.
When using technology at CMU, please be aware that there are technology-related policies in place to ensure that proper protections are in place for CMU's data as well as your own.
Remember: We're all responsible for making sure that we're appropriately using technology and safeguarding access to our accounts as well as CMU's sensitive data.
Employee and workday technologies
- PNC ActivePay. Manage your PNC account for CMU credit cards. Note: This is an external site hosted by PNC.
- Employee training. Find out about training opportunities for CMU employees.
- Pay Statement. View your current or previous pay statements.
- Personnel Transactions. Manage information about your employees' positions or create new student employee positions.
- View or pay your bill. Pay your CMU bill online for things like cell phone service and other billable services.
- My Account. There are a ton of other online services at CMU. Check out My Account for a near-exhaustive list.
CMU supplies various collaboration technologies for a number of different use cases.
File storage. We have a few options available depending on your needs. Please review the comparison matrix to determine which is best for you.
Webex. Host online meetings or collaborate remotely using Webex.
Yammer. Check out Yammer for a simple way to have active discussions, share ideas, or set up groups for many other collaborative purposes.
Office 365 Groups. Create an ad hoc Group, complete with its own email inbox, file storage, calendar, and other features.
SharePoint Team Sites. While we don't recommend setting up a new Team Site because Office 365 now provides much better tools, your office might have an existing Team Site in use.
- Learning more. Visit our self-paced training in our Technology Awareness & Training website to learn more about specific collaboration technologies.
Software Center. Most Windows computers should automatically have Software Center installed, which is usually the best way to install software on your computer.
Software Download Center. Not to be confused with the Software Center, OIT maintains a collection of utilities here for both Windows and Mac.
Virtual Lab. Certain applications are only available on the Virtual Lab, which you can access from your own computer anywhere.
Wi-Fi access for all faculty, staff, and students. We also provide the option for guests on campus to register temporarily on our network. We generally recommend the "Cmich GOLD" network, with "cmich_open" as a backup option for older devices or those which do not support modern wireless security protocols.
Other online services
CentralLink: CMU students, faculty, and staff can visit CentralLink to quickly access all of CMU's online services by clicking My Account at the top of the page when signed in.
Email: CMU email uses Office 365 and can be accessed through the top bar in CentralLink or by going directly to
- Online storage: Everyone at CMU gets a full terabyte of cloud-based storage through OneDrive. It's a great way to collaborate with your peers and colleagues--and it's so much space that you'll probably never fill it up.
- Virtual Lab. Some software might only be available through the Virtual Lab. This is mostly true of software used for academic purposes, but you may find some of this software useful as a staff member.
If you still have questions or technical problems...