Server virtualization is an important component of OIT's sustainable computing efforts. To further this end, OIT can host virtual machines (VMs) for colleges and departments, often eliminating the need to purchase dedicated hardware for light and medium workloads. The Infrastructure Team operates two fault-tolerant VMWare clusters, and has two VMWare Certified Professionals (VCP) on staff.
Standard VM Offering ($450 annually)
One 3.16 GHz virtual CPU
1024 MB RAM
50 GB C: Drive (for OS use only)
100 GB D: Drive
Includes administration of system:
- OS installed and configured from standardized build list
- Optional installation and securing of IIS (for Windows VMs)
- Automated monitoring with 24 hour alerting via OpManager
- Automated OS patching via SCCM
- Anti-virus installed and monitored
- Routine security scanning
- Creation of necessary vendor accounts to enable remote application support
- Non-colocated backups
All VMs are run on multi-node cluster with multiple 10GB and 1GB connections into the network.
All drive space is iSCSI and provided via an active/active cluster with two full copies of each VM for High Availability (HA).
Contact the Help Desk at (989) 774-3662 to request a follow up consultation from one of our in house experts regarding virtual server hosting.
Additional resources can be made available on an ala carte basis. Please
note that certain workoads do not lend themselves well to
virtualization. This includes transactional and other high-I/O loads
(typically busy database servers but occasionally other loads such as