Server virtualization is an important component of OIT's sustainable computing efforts. To further this end, OIT can host virtual machines (VMs) for colleges and departments, often eliminating the need to purchase dedicated hardware for light and medium workloads. The Infrastructure Team operates two fault-tolerant VMWare clusters, and has two VMWare Certified Professionals (VCP) on staff.
Standard VM Offering ($450 annually)
One 3.16 GHz virtual CPU
1024 MB RAM
50 GB C: Drive (for OS use only)
50 GB D: Drive
Includes administration of system:
- OS installed and configured from standardized build list
- Optional installation and securing of IIS (for Windows VMs)
- Automated monitoring with 24 hour alerting via OpManager
- Automated OS patching
- Anti-virus installed and monitored
- Routine security scanning
- Creation of necessary vendor accounts to enable remote application support
- Non-colocated backups
All VMs are run on multi-node cluster with multiple 1GB connections into the network.
All drive space is iSCSI
Additional resources can be made available on a ala carte basis.
Please note that certain workoads do not lend themselves well to virtualization. This includes transactional and other high-I/O loads (typcially busy database servers but occasionally other loads such as video encoding).
For additional information, contact:
Director, Infrastructure and Security
phone (989) 774-3611