The Cisco VPN Client provides direct access to the CMU network while connected to the Internet via a non-CMU Internet Service Provider. This can provide you with access to the Microsoft Exchange server, secure servers/subnets, and other network resources.
- Close any open applications that are currently running on your computer.
- Run the vpnclient-win-msi.xx file from the IT Software Download Center. This will first need to be extracted from the compressed file.
- Click the Unzip button to begin the installation process.
- From the Welcome to the Cisco Systems VPN Client X.X Installation Wizard, click the Next button.
- Select the I accept the license agreement option and then click the Next button.
- The next screen prompts for a destination folder to which the VPN Client files will be installed. Unless there is a need to install the application to a different folder, click the Next button.
- Click the Next button to being the copying and installation of files.
- After the installation is complete, click the Finish button. Click the Yes button if you are prompted to restart the computer.
- Open the VPN Client by clicking the Start button, select Programs ("All Programs" for Windows XP users), select Cisco Systems VPN Client, and then click VPN Client.
- Once the VPN Client is open, click the New button.
- Fill in the fields according to the table below, making sure the Group Authentication option is selected. Click the Save button once completed.
- Connection Entry: CMU
- Description: CMU VPN
- Host: sg2.cmich.edu or sg3.cmich.edu
- Name: CMICH-VPN
- Password: Call the OIT Help Desk at (989) 774-3662
- Open the Cisco VPN Client by clicking Start > All Programs > Cisco Systems VPN Client > VPN Client.
- Select the CMU connection and click the Connect button.
- When the User Authentication for CMU window appears, enter your Global ID and password into the appropriate fields, then click the Ok button.
- Once authenticated, a message stating, "Welcome to the Central Michigan University Virtual Private Network" will appear. Click the Continue button.
While connected to the VPN, a locked yellow padlock icon will appear in your system tray.
- Double-click the yellow padlock icon in the system tray.
- From the VPN Client window that opens, click the Disconnect button.
- After the VPN connection has terminated, you can close the VPN Client by clicking Connection Enteries > Exit VPN Client (or CTRL + Q).