Prior to connecting to wireless, ensure that Windows is set to manage your wireless connections:
NOTE: It may be necessary to disable any third-party wireless utilities before beginning:
- Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click on the Network Connections icon (you may have to switch to Classic View within the Control Panel to see this option).
- Right-click on the wireless connection and click Properties.
- Click on the Wireless Networks tab and check the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings option, then click the OK button.
Configuring cmich_open (unsecured)
- Click the Start button and then Connect To.
- Select cmich_open from the list of available wireless networks and click Next.
- Click Connect Anyway. This simply is informing you that you're connecting to a non-encrypted wireless network.
- You may chose to save the network connection and also start the connection automatically when it is recognized. These items are both optional.
- When you open your web browser after connecting, you will be prompted to input your Global ID and password.
NOTE: The cmich_open logon page is https://cm1rr.cmich.edu:8443/deadEnd-authentication/AuthStart .html
Configuring Cmich GOLD (WPA2 secured)
- Click the Start button and then click Connect To.
- Click the Open Network and Sharing Center link.
- Click the Manage wireless networks link.
- Click the Add button to add a new connection.
- Click the Manually create a network profile option.
- Enter or select the following information:
- Network name: Cmich GOLD
- Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: AES
- Click the Change connection settings option.
- Select the Security tab and make sure that Protected EAP (PEAP) is selected, then click the Settings button.
- Uncheck the Validate server certificate option.
- Next, change Select Authentication Method to Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
- Finally, click the Configure button.
- Uncheck the Automatically use my windows logon name and password option.
- Click the OK button to close any remaining open windows.
- You will see a balloon pop up from the system tray. Click anywhere on the balloon except for the X.
- The Enter Credentials window will appear. Fill out the following information:
- User name: your CMU Global ID
- Password: your CMU Global ID password
- Logon domain: CENTRAL
- Click the OK button. You will now be connected to the Cmich GOLD wireless network.
Configuring cmich (WPA secured)
The cmich SSID will be phased out in the near future. Please follow the directions above to configure 'Cmich GOLD'. If the 'cmich' wireless network needs to be configured on your machine, please contact the Help Desk for instructions.